More and more often, I hear from my clients that they are interested in meditation, have heard of the benefits, know they should do it, but have either tried it and it didn't feel comfortable or theydon't even know where to start.
Although this new experience might feel uncomfortable at first, keep an open mind. Stay with it because it willchange your life. Some days, my meditations just feel like taking a time-out, a needed break to remind myself to breath and to set the tone for my day. Often this time provides relief from daily stresses and anxieties. Sometimes, I receive powerful messages - I hear a voice that is my own but beyond myself (like the voice that told me that I am meant to be a life coach).
When our minds are in a relaxed state, we are able to access a consciousness of creativity, clarity, and love deep inside ourselves. When we are able to slow down and quiet our minds, we feel relaxed and peaceful and allow our inner guidance system to shine. Ahhhhh. Doesn't that sound nice?
*this could be you*
OK - now that I've got your attention. How do you get started?
1. It's important to feel comfortable when you meditate. This is a time to feel good and relaxed. Find a quiet, comfortable space where you won't be disturbed. Wear clothing that feels good.
2. Sit cross-legged on a pillow on the floor, or sit in a chair with your feet planted firmly on the ground. Make sure your back is straight.
3. Rest your hands comfortably on your thighs, palms up.
4. Close your eyes gently.
5.Take a few deep breathes - in through your nose and out through your mouth.
6. Do a full body check: Where are you holding tension in your body? Your face? Shoulders? Stomach? Back? Legs? Relax them. Breathe deeply into the areas where you experience any discomfort, pain or tension.
7. Start with a prayer/intention if it feels right. For example: "Please help me relax and feel good. I intend to have a beautiful day. Thank you," or "I pray for _________ and am thankful for your guidance." Dedicate this time to yourself, for yourself.
8. Continue breathing slowly and deeply until it feels good for you. That might be 5 minutes or 15 minutes. Any amount of time is awesome.
9. Thoughts will come up for you and that is totally fine. When a thought comes, observe it gently and let it go - keep bringing your awareness back to your breathing.
10. Bring your full consciousness back into the room when it feels right. Take a final deep breath and open your eyes. Smile and thank yourself for taking the time to check in with your inner guidance system.
There are many ways to meditate and there are a lot of guided meditations and techniques available. Above is just one basic suggestion that I like. If it doesn't feel great - find what does. Modify it to feel good for you.
I encourage you to try to meditate each morning and before bed for 1 week and see how you feel. See how your day goes. Check in with your stress and creativity and energy levels. I bet you will feel GOOD!
Wishing you relaxing and peaceful thoughts. As always, if I can answer any questions about meditation or help you on your journey in any way, please get in touch.